想免费下载本文?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,查找使用更方便
还剩1页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢Get 25% off of your first
Ambitious Course
Confirm Password
Get Paid To Travel The World And Take Pictures: Courtney Slade Talks Having The Job Of Your Dreams
All photography courtesy of Courtney Slade
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to get paid to travel abroad?
, resident photographer and videographer for
(U30X), knows all about it. We had the chance to catch up with the girl on the go as she returned home to Texas after seven months of traveling with the coolest company and job you can imagine.
Her recent adventure began in Central America, where she spent four months. Then, she went to four different continents within the next three months. Even more fascinating is the fact the she was traveling with complete strangers, other like-minded individuals whose sense of wonder has compelled them to venture into the unknown and expect the unexpected.
Yet, Courtney isn’t a stranger to traveling solo. She once went on a solo road trip for eight weeks, documenting landscapes and bodies of water across multiple states.
I was able to speak with Courtney before she sets out again, in less than a month.
Her time at home is limited and valuable, so I’m thankful that she’s given any of it to me. Courtney answered my phone call with a cheerful voice, and I could tell immediately that she was a bundle of energy. She’s relaxed and convivial, and throughout our conversation she is eager to answer all of my questions — even the nosy ones.
Many people say they want to travel, but most rarely do. What made you decide you would follow through?
I had the opportunity to study photojournalism in Prague. I loved it. For me, travel fuels my passion for photography. After I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin, I wanted to find a way to use my talent and to make an impact on the world. No one ever tells you what life is like post-grad, and the three years after I graduated were a whirlwind for me. I knew, though, that photography and travel would allow me to share the world with those who wouldn’t otherwise be able to see it.
you made, called “The Water’s Edge – A Photography Book and Journey” explains your plans for your first solo road trip. It’ I’m ready to pack my own bags! What was your inspiration for making the trip?
Well, it actually all started when I got my Landcruiser, which I bought from a neighbor. I named the Landcruiser Ruby, and she was a means for me to go and explore. I traveled for eight weeks, driving to various destinations.
I wanted to make a photojournal of my exploration to various bodies of water, some well-known and some not, across the states. There’s a book that’s in the works from that trip. The format of the book will be a timeline of my journey. I made journal entries as I traveled and photographed, and that’s something that I’ve continued doing throughout all of my travels. I write in my journal as much as I can when I’m abroad, when I’m in the moment. I want to capture my feelings and use them for perspective in the book.
Your video shows you backpacking and stargazing. Did you plan every stop?
I knew what states I would head into, but I didn’t plan every detail. I wanted to be available for the moments you can never plan for. Planning too much, you lose the opportunity for life to just happen. It’s the travel that’s spontaneous and random that leaves you with the best stories. My online timeline was when I was to meet up with certain people along the way.
I definitely got lost a couple of times, and I always had to figure it out. Traveling like that definitely taught me some life skills. You have what you have — when you have it —and you have to be resourceful very quickly. There were times I got somewhere and thought, “Well, that’s not what I expected.” But, that’s life.
How did you — and your family — feel about your traveling alone?
I was taking a big leap of faith in myself, trusting and following my heart. I learned how to be an independent woman, person, and someone who just never stops dreaming. Those are the qualities that my parents instilled in me my whole life. They’ve been incredible. It’s always easier when you have someone reinforcing you and telling you “you can do it.” You have to be O.K. with being on your own.
When did you start working for UX30? Was it right after your road trip?
Actually, I had contacted UX30 prior to my trip. When I found out about them, I was interested right away, so I sent them an email. I was kind of shocked when the CEO (, co-founder) wrote me back and asked to speak with me on the phone. I was blown away by that. When we spoke, he told me of an upcoming trip and asked if I’d be interested in going. But, I actually told him I couldn’t go. I had made plans to go on my road trip, and it was extremely important for me. We agreed that we’d keep in touch and talk again after I got back, but I wasn’t sure it would work out. I mean, I told him no and then left for two months!
That says a lot about you, though. Your passion and dedication shined through. And, obviously, you ended up reconnecting with Matt when you returned, because now you’re the resident photographer and videographer.
Yeah, we did reconnect. But, I didn’t start out in this position. I started as one of the community managers for Austin, going to meet-ups and happy hours. The goal was to spark interest in traveling and having worldly experiences. I had success with getting people interested and signed up for trips. It wasn’t easy and I worked hard.
My first trip with U30X was to Nicaragua, and that’s when I knew that this job was “it” and it’s what I wanted. I finally found something that stuck. I knew travel would always be a part of my life, I just wasn’t sure how. I now work with people who I consider some of my best friends, and I have a unique position to travel the world and make a living off of that.
It sounds like you have the best job in the world.
I feel like I do. It’s been a crazy ride. I wouldn’t trade it. I know it’s not conventional, it’s not secure, and I’m taking a risk. But, I knew that this is where I needed to be and where I needed to go. Now I’m a part of the Under30 family. I get to lead travelers on adventures through different countries and capture each moment.
People tell me, “Courtney, what you do scares me.” Everyone is wired differently. There are people who aren’t comfortable with that. Not everyone thrives off of “Where am I going? What am I doing?” It scares me more to be completely comfortable.
What about being scared in a more traditional sense? Being that you travel alone, with strangers, or in unfamiliar places, do you worry about your safety?
I’m always preparing for the unexpected, and part of that means how to protect myself. As a woman, it’s always in the back of my mind. I carry a knife, pepper spray and an attitude of confidence. People know if you’re confident. People can read that. You don’t want to stand out and you need to be comfortable with your environment.
I take on extra risk because I have gear, something people may want. I can’t hide my camera, because then I can’t work. It’s an assumed risk that I take as a photographer, so I need to be smart about my surroundings. At the end of the day, it’s about how you carry yourself.
I mean, bad things do happen. But, good things happen, too.
What has traveling taught you about life?
You have to have the ability to adapt to whatever environment you’re in. Some of the greatest people I’ve met in my life, I’ve met on the trips I’ve led. Travel prioritizes your life very quickly. It tells you what matters and what doesn’t. It is appreciating family and health and simple things in life that people overlook every day. You get this one life.
I was a planner my whole life.
In planning too much, you lose the opportunity for life to just happen. We forget to inspire ourselves. We forget to feed our desire.
How many countries have you traveled to?
I have no idea, off the top of my head. After Nicaragua, I went to Alaska and then Iceland. I also had staff training in Bali. Whenever I come home, I’m always in preparation for my next journey. I’ve been so many places, but I don’t just pass through.
We build relationships with people in different countries. We dive into the culture and become friends with the locals. From the hustle and bustle of Indonesia to the countryside of Ireland, I make connections with people who become my family, familiar faces.
Speaking of relationships… I have to ask. Do you have a significant other? I mean, the distance and time away must make it difficult to maintain a relationship.
It is possible, and I can say that from experience. Currently, there is someone in my life. I met him during a brief few days home, in between Central America and my journey to Iceland and Ireland. I was only home for a few days, enough time to do laundry and prepare for the next adventure. I even shipped myself a package to my next destination.
Communication, like in any relationship, is a key foundation. And, you have to have trust. When you find the right person, you find a way to make it work. With this kind of job, there has to be a willingness to be with someone who’s gone. They know what they’re signing up for.
It’s always funny when we talk because I live in the future, as time is ahead in Southeast Asia, while he’s here in North America. He is looking at doing a trip this fall. So, it’s good to have similar interests.
Regarding the future, where do you think you will call home? Do you plan on having a home in the states?
Home is always where my family is. Home is also all of the people who I’ve met along the way because I carry them with me. Sometimes going to different locations does feel like I’m going home. Austin may be where I’ll have a base. I would love to raise a family in a place I love. I didn’t know how much I loved it until I was gone.
I never thought I would be a small-town person vs. a big-city person, but I’m reverting back to my childhood. I grew up on a ranch in hill country in Texas. Growing up in the country gave me a skillset that I never knew I’d need. I now appreciate the way I was able to explore the hills, to create my own fun, to earn the scars that tell my story. I didn’t have the foresight to see what I’d be doing. I’m kind of reverting back to my childhood and in a way I’ve come full circle. I’d like my children to have similar experiences.
O.K., last question. You’ve been to so many places and seen some spectacular things. This one may be difficult for you to answer. I want to know, in what place did you feel a moment of such serenity that if you had died right then and there, you would’ve died happy? Like, was there a bench overlooking the sunset somewhere or was there a hillside that touched the moon? Was there a single moment that captivated you?
That’s not what I thought you were going to ask! That’s a hard question!
I love the water and I love the mountains, so those are really two places that come to mind. Alaska was magical. The mountains have a special power. They breathe a lot of life back into me. I feel the ocean puts you in your place. You quickly learn who’s in charge when you’re out on the water.
There was this one moment, on this perfect day I had in Nicaragua. It’s still perfect, to this day. It was during my first trip with Under 30.
Matt and I had gotten up early to go surfing at Playa Maderas. We hopped in the back of a local’s truck, and we had only our bathing suits and boards. He drove us down this dirt, pot hole stricken road that led to the beach, and we unloaded the boards. I left my flip flops in the truck while we went surfing for a few hours. After a while, I sat on the beach with just my board. No camera. No shoes. No money. I watched the others from the group make their way down the beach and begin surfing.
That day we ate fish tacos, played sand volleyball and soccer with the locals. Eventually I had to track down my shoes. It was such a simple day.
I remember sitting on the beach that day with my surfboard and thinking about nothing but that moment. I remember thinking, “This is me, right where I need to be.” I was the happiest I had ever been, in that moment, when I had nothing.
I always have my stuff, I’m always prepared or always having something to do. It was refreshing to live in that moment, rather than document it all and watch other people live it. I was the one living it for myself. That day, I didn’t think. I just lived.
It was definitely a special moment that I’ll never forget.
My conversation with Courtney left me inspired, and looking at the pictures she took left me breathless. I think I’m going to need to make a trip to the mountains ASAP. I will be on the lookout for her upcoming book, too!
I really hope to meet Courtney in person, perhaps on one of the trips that she leads. I wish I had known about Under30Experiences sooner, but I’m glad to know that you don’t have to be
to join in on the fun. Older millennials, rejoice!
You can follow Courtney’s inspiring adventures on , as well as on the
And, we made it easy for you — here’s
Categories:
Erin Johnson
Erin is known for going full-force into life and her passions. She doesn't hesitate to help people and she will always seek justice. So, don't plan on robbing a house in her neighborhood, because she WILL chase you down barefoot in the middle of the night and detain you until police arrive.
And, if you call her a smart ass, don't be surprised when her response is "At least I'm not a dumb ass."
Recent Posts【图文】仁爱七年级Unit 8 Topic 2 Section A_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
评价文档:
仁爱七年级Unit 8 Topic 2 Section A
上传于|0|0|暂无简介
大小:9.33MB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢- What's your plan the coming holiday?- I wish around the country and take some pictures. [ ]A. to travelB. traveling C. to travel D. traveling 题目和参考答案——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
& 题目详情
— What's your plan _____ the coming holiday?— I wish _____ around the country and take some pictures.
[&&&& ]A. to travelB. traveling C. to travel D. traveling
请在这里输入关键词:
科目:初中英语
来源:学年浙江省桐乡三中七年级上学期期中考试英语试卷(带解析)
题型:单词拼写
【小题1】 What’s y_______& (你的) name ?【小题2】I can p_______(踢)football.【小题3】Who are they in the photo ?& They are my p_______(父母亲).【小题4】 I have a warm& f________ (家庭)【小题5】 This is Mr Wang& He’s h________ (她的)English teacher【小题6】 How many c________ (班)are there in your school ?【小题7】 My brother often w________ (看)TV on Sunday【小题8】 -Can you r________ (骑)a bike ? -Yes, I can【小题9】 W________(欢迎) Betty and Tony to our new school【小题10】 The shoes are b________(在…后面)the door.
来源:学年江苏省盐城市盐都区八年级下学期期中考试英语试卷(带解析)
根据短文内容及首字母的提示,填写所缺单词。Mr. Martin went into a coffee shop one morning, and sat a 【小题1】. Many others came in, but most of them did not stay long.After fifteen m【小题2】, a young man and a young woman came in. There were only two e 【小题3】& seats at the counter, one on Mr. Martin’s left, and the other on his r【小题4】&.So Mr. Martin offered& to change places w【小题5】&the man, so that the man and the young woman could be t【小题6】.“Oh, that isn’t necessary,” the young man said. But Mr. Martin still wanted to c【小题7】. When& they were side by side, the man said to the woman, “Well, this gentleman wanted us to s 【小题8】& together, so may I introduce m 【小题9】&? My name is Tom. What’s y【小题10】?”
来源:2016届福建泉州泉港三川中学初一上学期第一次月考英语试卷(解析版)
题型:补充句子
This is Fangfang. She is from China. Her(她的) telephone number is (010). She is inBeijing No.1 High School(北京一中). She is a good student. Miss Gao is herEnglish teacher.根据短文,选择正确的答案。(10分)1.Fangfang is from ________.&A. the U.S.A.&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&& &B. China&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.Cuba2. She isin________High School.A.No.One&&&&&&&&&& B. No. Two&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.No. Three3.Fangfang is a ________.A. teacher&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.mother&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.student4.Miss Gao is a(an) _________ teacher.A.Chinese &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B.English&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C.Canada5.Fangfang's& telephone number is _________.6.—What’s y_________ name?&& —Myname is David.7.—Are you f________Fuzhou?& —No, we aren’t.8.—What’s your telephone n________?& —It’s (010).9.—E__________ me, are you Frank?& —Yes, I am.&
来源:学年浙江省七年级上学期期中考试英语试卷(解析版)
1. What’s y_______& (你的) name ?2.I can p_______(踢)football.3.Who are they in the photo ?& Theyare my p_______(父母亲).4. I have a warm& f________ (家庭)5. This is Mr Wang& He’s h________ (她的)English teacher6. How many c________ (班)are there in your school ?7. My brother often w________ (看)TV on Sunday8. -Can you r________ (骑)a bike ? -Yes, I can9. W________(欢迎) Betty and Tony to our new school10. The shoes are b________(在…后面)the door.&
来源:同步题
题型:填空题
根据句意及首字母提示填词。1. —W____ are you from?&&& —I’m from Shanghai.2. —What’s y____ name?&&& —My name is David.3. —Are you f____ Fuzhou?&&& —No, we aren’t.4. —What’s your telephone n____?&&& —It’s (010).5. —E____ me, are you Frank?&&& —Yes, I am.
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号

我要回帖

更多关于 xhamster pictures 的文章

随机推荐